Our Couples Counseling Program
We like to train couples and individuals who are genuinely motivated to change their lives.
Whether it’s for a marriage or any other important relationship, we specialize in helping people create greater harmony and ease between themselves and others. We are relationship counselors, who take great pride in helping couples who seem hopelessly stuck, to break free – as well as helping highly-functioning couples reach a much deeper, richer level of relationship.
The work of a couples counselor should be both deeply respectful of the client in their totality, and highly pro-active. (We do not believe in having a couple spend time and money sitting on our couch arguing. They can do that for free at home!)
We practice marriage therapy in Marin County, in the towns of Mill Valley and San Anselmo, as well as in the Pacific Heights area of San Francisco, performing couples therapy over the entire Bay Area.
We have found that the couple relationship is among the most difficult – and enriching – of human experiences; and that the more tools and knowledge one has for dealing with it the more successful one will be.
“It wasn’t until I met Dr. Goodman-Herrick that I began to heal my childhood wounds and develop healthy relationships.”
Doris S. San Anselmo, CA.
Areas We Focus On:
- Couple Communication
- Conflict Resolution
- Emotional Intimacy
- Nurturing Self and Other
- Healthy Sexuality
- Healthy Parenting
- Avoiding Divorce
- Healthy Divorce
- The Couple’s Relationship as a Journey Of Transformation
How We Work:
- We explore and help undo the hidden causes and underlying structure beneath:
- Communication difficulties
- Constant fighting
- Emotional walls
- Sexual problems
- Parenting issues
“After my affair, my wife and I almost divorced. Instead, Jonathan showed us how to deepen our marriage and truly enjoy each other.”
Daniel L. San Rafael, CA
The Path Of Awareness and Opening
We have a profound, non-sectarian interest in bringing what may be called spiritual practice into our work. By this we mean developing awareness, compassion, gratitude and an openness to the unknowable.
To follow such a path, while committing to a couple relationship, greatly enhances both spiritual practice and one’s relationship:
- Opening to one’s partner is among the most powerful ways to accelerate and deepen spiritual understanding.
- Deepening spiritual understanding is among the most effective ways to strengthen and enrich the couple relationship.
Two questions we have been especially curious about and attentive to in our own marriage, and which we especially enjoy assisting other couples with, are:
- How to keep love fresh and alive for the duration – so that you are as devoted to each other on your 20th, 30th, or 40th anniversary as during your honeymoon?
- How to keep the flame of romance and lover energy alive while devotedly raising children?
- In-person sessions for couples and individuals
- Phone sessions
- Group therapy for developing relational skills
- Weekend intensives
- Our work is customized to match your needs.
We offer many techniques, but rely only on two essential factors:
- You – your natural, inner resources and your openness to change.
- Ourselves – our relational skills, intuition, observations, creative strategies and senses of humor.
- We approach each couple and individual gently and without judgment. Yet we are very active in helping you attain your goal.
Our Ultimate Goal
Everything about our work is designed to enhance your knowledge and facilitate your journey along the path of relationship.
Whether it’s called couple therapy, couple counseling, marriage therapy or relationship coaching, it comes down to the same thing: guiding individuals and couples to open their hearts and learn communication skills that will nurture and create harmony in relationship.
And we work with every kind of couple preference: straight, lesbian, gay, transgender, interracial, religious and non-religious.
About Group Therapy
Learn about Group Therapy by clicking here
For information on insurance please see our insurance page.
Office visits – in Mill Valley, San Anselmo or San Francisco
Home visits – or from virtually anywhere – via video conferencing or telephone.
We work with both individuals and couples on SKYPE, and you can read more here.
Call us at 415.722.9446, email us at email@example.com or fill out this form and submit it.